The NYS Equal Rights Heritage Center Project Description:
Construction of the new NYS Equal Rights Heritage Center in downtown Auburn will begin in February 2018. As part of Governor Andrew Cuomo’s Central New York Upstate Revitalization Initiative, this investment of $10 million will create over 100 construction jobs and will support and boost upstate New York’s tourism industry. The center is scheduled to open in October 2018. The project will result in the following downtown revitalization investments:
- Construction of the new NYS Equal Rights Heritage Welcome Center that will have 3 main components: ~I Love NY Equal Rights Heritage Tourism Promotion Center; a Taste NY Market; and a local tourism promotion/visitor information center for Auburn, Cayuga County and the region.
- Reconstruction of Lincoln Street to increase pedestrian safety and accessibility at the William Street and South Street intersections designed to make a strong pedestrian connection between downtown and the historic district.
- Security and signage upgrades to the site and the downtown parking garage.
- The facility will house the offices of the Cayuga County Office of Tourism, the Auburn Downtown Business Improvement District and the Auburn Historic & Cultural Sites Commission.
NYS Equal Rights Heritage Center Site Plan:
NYS Equal Rights Heritage Center Contractor List
- Design Contractor, nARCHITECTS, Brooklyn, NY
- General Contractor, FAHS Construction Group, Binghamton, NY
- Construction Inspection, Popli Design Group, Syracuse, NY
- Electrical Contractor, J & E Electric, Auburn, NY
- Plumbing Contractor, Siracusa Mechanical, Inc., Auburn, NY
- Mechanical Contractor, HMI Mechanical Systems, Waterloo, NY
- Exhibit Construction Contractor, Hadley Exhibits, Inc., Buffalo, NY
View the Governor's announcement here: NY.gov
Media contact: Please contact Chuck Mason, City Clerk, Memorial City Hall, 24 South Street, Auburn, NY 13021. ph: 315-255-4100