The Office of Planning & Economic Development is responsible for ensuring that physical and community in the City occurs in a rational and comprehensive manner that addresses community needs and governmental priorities. The office is involved in a variety of issues or areas that effect the development of the community including housing, human services, public infrastructure, neighborhood stabilization, comprehensive planning, zoning, downtown revitalization and historic preservation.
Key functions of the office include:
- Administration of Community Development Block Grant Funds including the Home Repair Assistance Program, Sidewalk Replacement Program and Community Development Support Services
- Preparation, modification, and maintenance of comprehensive development plans and land use regulations
- Evaluation of applications for special use permits, site plan approval, subdivision approval, and zoning amendments
- Administration of the Empire Zone Program
- Dissemination of information on zoning, land use regulations and community programs including GIS based mapping
Additionally, the office provides staff support to the Planning Board, Design Review Committee, Historic Resources Review Board and the Homeless Task Force.