Who is eligible to obtain a marriage certificate copy?
- The spouses
- Other persons who have a:
- Documented judicial or other proper purpose
- New York State Court Order
What is a judicial or other proper purpose?'
If the applicant is not a spouse, a judicial or other proper purpose must be documented.
An example of a judicial or other proper purpose would be a marriage record needed by the applicant to claim a benefit. Documentation would consist of an official letter from the agency verifying that to process the claim they require from the applicant a copy of the requested marriage record.
What is the fee for a certified copy of your marriage certificate? The fee is $10.
What is the fee for an additional certified copy of your marriage certificate? The fee per each additional copy is $10.
Identification Requirements - application must be submitted with copies of either A or B:
One (1) of the following forms of valid photo-ID:
- Driver license
- State issued non-driver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military issued photo-ID
- Two (2) of the following showing the applicant's name and address.
- Utility or telephone bills
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six (6) months